Friday, May 5, 2017

KATHMANDU

Travelled to Bangkok via bus and it took hours to get from the southern bus station to BS Residence near the airport .  It is close and the price was good for BKK .   There are deluxe rooms there that are not 4 floors up.  There's no lift.
Next morning off on convenient flight to Kathmandu.   Happy to be with Nepali people again but the state of the streets is even worse if possible than five years ago.  Everyone needs a mask now and clouds of dust are rising.   I met with Anita one night and she showed me her favourite places like French Bakery and Hole in the Wall pub plus the Tandoori Restaurant.   Frequented all of them a lot.  It was still cool in Kathmandu .  TASHI DHELE is under new management though Tshering and wife are still living in that courtyard.  Not much atmosphere.  Rooms $7/night .  Small chap named Rickesh running it for the owner.   To my disappointment the Celtic Pub is no more though I managed to meet Mary and others on Paddys Day at the Irish pub.   The nice Sat market has moved but is still very good.
Ready for Paddys Day

Anita on rooftop

Holi

Sat Market















Met several nice people in fact most Nepali are most kind.  I especially liked Roshdip who went out of his way several times for me and brought me out to dinner plus coming in taxi to leavBe me away at the airport when I left.  I had many chats with Biplav, the intelligent partner in Hole in the Wall and also Achoo in Artmandu pub where there is local music most nights and is furnished with throwaway tires, boxes etc
Artmandu Pub/restaurant

Roshdip

Biplav in Hole in the Wall

No comments:

Post a Comment