Monday, May 8, 2017

AUGSBURG, GERMANY

I drove straight through from Affiglem to Augsburg.   Over 700 kms but good roads.   I used to live in Augsburg and it holds many happy memories and I feel close to friends there as well as my son Sean and family.   Its a lovely quiet city with broad streets, lovely architecture and plazas.  It is renowned in history because it was founded by the sons of Augustus, was part of the Via Claudia from Rome, the Fuggers founded the first social settlement here known as The Fuggerai.  It is still existing.  Martin Luther said NO to the papal bull here in Anna Kirche and The Dom has some of the oldest stained glass windows still existing in Europe.  The lovely Ulrichs Kirche is unusual in that it is shared by Protestants and Catholics.
I arrived to a grand welcome by my friends Gill and Wolfgang as we settled in to aperitifs outside of their lovely apartment where I stayed for a week





















I was at my favourite restaurant - a greek one that served the best Moussaka I ever had.  It's on Uhland Str in Phersee.  Sean and his partner Gudrun with my grandchild Alina


Also was invited to dinner at Gisela and Nandl Steiner in their home in Friedberg.  Nandl is a great chef and also brews his own beer so we had a grand evening there



There's a custom to go to the Stadt Market on Saturday morning and have an Aperol Spritz   It's always full of regulars and joyous chat in the middle of that hall of plenty


The Spring Plerrer was in full swing when we all got together on Sunday noon in the beer garden of Shaller Brau   There were the usual big Krugs of beer, comely waitresses and handsome waiters serving traditional dishes of Potato Pancakes, Sweine Haksen, Cheese Spaezle etc.



Sean and I



No comments:

Post a Comment