Monday, August 24, 2015

SANTIAGO

At last I've reached the famous destination of the Camino.  A great city and so many pilgrims even now in the very hot season.   The cathedral is as massive as expected and gold glitters in every direction.

 For me, despite the wonderful architecture, it's something that turns me off.   I grew up where massive churches were built to hold the barefoot masses with huge families and scant income. They gave their little when the plates were passed.
I had a great stroll through the tiny, crooked streets, had some lunch and vino and wondered if I could still manage the Camino.???

They've arrived at last footsore and weary but exalted.


























Regardless of how often I've seen the evening and night "paseo" in Spain I'm still amazed at the amount of people strolling along arm in arm in absolutely every city even very late at night.  Most cities and towns have lovely walks along rivers and parks and the citizens take full advantage of them.  They gather from early until late at bars and cafes many having beer even quite early in the day and coffee late at night.  Their very late hours do not seem to reflect in their getting up in the mornings as they seem to start as early as places where people go to bed by midnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment