Friday, August 14, 2015

PORTUGAL




I was so close to Portugal when in La Guarda right on the border that I thought I'd run over for a few days and get a preview of next year's trip (if all goes well in between)
I loved it from the first minutes   The weather didn't add to that as it is rainy and quite cool especially for the time of year.  The town just across from where I was is called Vicenca and is just lovely with walls around it.  At this time of high season it was full of course and the tourist shops were in full swing but what great people.

part of the walls

I've only been in Portugal for two and a half days but have heard more laughter and spoken with more people than in the last several months.  I was lucky enough to reach Carminha on a market day.   They will have their festival in 2 days for a saint naturally but many were already in traditional costume and going to a festival in a nearby village.
It was market day and many of the old women were selling their own produce.  It was only one euro for a large bag of cherry tomatoes and the same for 6 fresh eggs.  The lady also slipped in a few passion fruit as a bonus.  I'm really looking forward to next season.
I couldn't just leave immediately so decided to postpone my trip for a few days and go to a camp site I heard about in the middle of a very rural community.

the festival patron

I drove on through Braga to a wonderful little campsite east of Chaves named Time Stopped (in Portugese "O Tempo Parou" There's only room for 10 campers and the owners are most obliging and friendly.  As I arrived they had just fixed lunch for 4 French people and I ordered also of course.  great food of ribs, big salad, roast potatoes, wine and coffee plus dessert all for 8 euros.  Their daughter played accordian for us and the owners danced.  This is a very quiet village mainly built of stone and there's a lot of horses used for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment