Thursday, July 31, 2014

BASQUE COUNTRY

As I get closer to Spain I began to see all the people going off to festivals each weekend and all of them dressed up in white with red or green kerchiefs, belts, shoes etc and in the camp sites the didn't get back until around 5 am very unusual for France and I realised I was approaching the Basque areas.  They look just like all those pictures of the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona and incidentally there's lots of bull fights and bulls celebrated around here.
The little village of Bastide St Clarence is over 700 years old and just lovely.  Their houses are in the national colours of white/red or white/green.  It's rare to see other colours like blue on a house.  The roofs are all red tiles.  I am in St Jean de Luz and was yesterday in Biarritz.  What felicitous cities with the long, clean beaches and the ocean right in town.  No wonder that it is so much livelier than other French regions I have visited.  People dance and look happy and have those great tans that I couldn't get if I was in the sun for a year.
Bastide St Clarence

St Jean de Luz


Biarritz

La Rhune mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment