Sunday, March 20, 2016

SEVILLE

I finally made it to Seville.  I was told that the distance on foot from the campsite was only 1 km but actually it was so much more.  I was almost tired by the time I arrived.  Taking the bike would have been a much better option.  The architecture was just beautiful as I had expected.  The Moorish influence was everywhere.  I had not thought that Holy Week would have begun already but in fact everywhere was full of people and expectations.  Whole areas cordoned off and lines in churches to see the elaborate, enormous platforms that will be carried in the parades starting tomorrow Sunday 20th   They are so decorative and the figures of Christ, Madonnas and Saints are dressed in the most fantastic patterned clothes.  All is aglitter including all the shop windows with religious icons mixed with flamenco dresses and huge sales in flowers for the hair or hats with flowers.  Little girls running around dressed in white or pale blue long dresses while the fashion for boys is sailor suits that is suits for Commodores in creamy white or navy with epaulets and braid.  Excitement definitely in the air.

Alcazar

ready for the procession


Ornate robe on statue


I had to have the traditional Churros and hot chocolate of course




No comments:

Post a Comment