Thursday, June 25, 2015

IMPRESSIONS OF SPAIN

I'm now over a month wandering around Spain and my initial impression was written about the Basque people and areas.  I found them so friendly and kind with lots of smiles.
Since then the road to the south and along the Costa del Sol has not shown the  other Spaniards to be very different (although they are in appearance)  they are also ready to try to understand and to help.  Of course it isn't always easy to meet the Spanish as most camp sites are full of people from other countries and the south of the country is over run with tourists.  There are such beautiful little villages  like Los Negros below.  They are worlds apart from places like Malaga and Torremolinos.
I was in Roquetas del Mar a really nice town and loads of visitors but almost all were Spanish.  Lovely beaches, showers, bicycle paths, walking trails etc.

















The roads are great and one of the biggest surprises for me is how little traffic there is even in cities.  I've frequently been the only car on the road and I don't use toll roads.

  It's easy to change lanes, rare to have a car close behind, no horns beeping and overall drivers are very courteous.  I didn't come across much traffic until I reached Malaga.











 I was at a party in Marbella this week and the rental properties are just ideal for a good holiday.  Several huge swimming pools and fountains around the complexes and right beside a lovely beach.  Perfect for families even though they would not be meeting many Spaniards there.



complex swimming pool

great party, I think there was one Spanish lady there


The prices of most things are much less than Ireland especially for food, coffee and wine.  A 3 course menu is often around 9 euros with water, wine or coffee.  It's clear we have way too much tax on alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment