Sunday, June 22, 2014

ST. TROPEZ


I would have avoided St Tropez because of too many tourists and fame but just a few Kms away there is an area called Ramatuelle where there are lovely empty beaches and lots of friendly camp sites so that's where I am and I love it.  I am based on a little farm campsite amid the vineyards.  Like many houses here this one is that sunny biscuit colour with purple little doors and shutters.  It's a working farm so there's tractors and machinery housed in sheds.
I went in to St Tropez twice once for site seeing and yesterday for the big market.  It is much better than I expected, a friendly fun place.  Of course the prices are high and the yachts are big.  It's been a long time since there were fishing boats here.  All the famous design shops are represented but there's also long quiet streets and parks with glorious blossoms and bougainvillea covered walls.
The bus service here is free and there's a lovely walk to the bus via the paths of the vines.  Most of the houses are very large and private - almost all are that sunny colour and hide behind large gates.  When the occasional one is open there are great gardens in there.  I love the pastel coloured shutters.  Here in the camp site many people stay for the whole Summer usually in a motor home that they leave parked here.  A much cheaper way than renting a place.


My path to the bus

The port of St. Tropez


Inviting piazza

Lavender

No comments:

Post a Comment