Sunday, July 7, 2013

MONTE SOLE

Il Poggiolo


Road to Il Poggiolo


lovely owners Bernadette and Mauro


Life wandering in the van in Italy is not at all as easy as in other countries.  There are few parking spots, no little places to pause for a picnic and the large camping parks have almost tripled their prices since the end of June.  There are probably more areas to stop on the Autostradas but they are very expensive highways and my main aim is to see the little towns and villages as I meander along so I don't use them.    Of course there are many compensations in Italy like the great food and helpful people but still one is on the road a lot because of the difficulty in finding an inexpensive place to stay for a while.  If I were not alone I would probably just park somewhere in an isolated village.
I am so delighted to be in this place south of Bologna.  It is near the top of another mountain, an area known for Archery, cycling, walking and horse back riding  and it has a very sad history of a large massacre that took place here at the end of the second world war when hundreds of woman, children and old people were killed by the Fascists hunting down the Resistance of the Red Star Partisan Brigade so the empty ruins of their houses and church are dotted around the area.  Now Peace is actively promoted and it is a Protected region.
I asked at a friendly Albergo if I could stay on their grounds for a few days and the most friendly owners, Mauro and Bernadette, said that would be fine with them so I've settled in for the past few days and have time to meditate, do a bit of Yoga and walk.  In the evenings I am not cooking but eating in their restaurant where they make all their own pasta.  It's the least I can do to pay them back a little.



A Memorial to those who were slaughtered

No comments:

Post a Comment