Saturday, November 19, 2011

A FEW DAYS STAY ON THE BACKWATERS











GREEN PALMS HOMESTAY
This excellent homestay is on a little island and is almost self sufficient. They grow their own rice, vegetables, have coconut trees etc. They were the ones who first started this idea in the region years ago and now the whole family is involved. Mother Ana still cooks the meals and gives cookery classes. Brothers Thomas and Matthew do walking tours, agriculture, greet guests, bring them out in canoes etc. Sister Maria and husband Philip have several rooms for guests in their lovely house in the compound and all their children play happily around the garden right beside the river where they catch their fish. Chickens and hens wander around the gardens and a fish man calls twice a day.

A stroll around the island resulted in chats with almost every child I passed as they asked questions and tried to imagine where Ireland is. Since they don’t know where Europe or England is I don’t think they understood the explanation but several did know the names of the Irish cricket players which is more than I do. Men and women were washing themselves and their clothes in the river as I passed while most had a fishing rod nearby. Shops are tiny kiosks selling essentials. I was sad to see the burning going on near the rice fields and a woman told me it is good for the soil.

Days are spent strolling, taking a canoe ride, biking, reading and eating. The other guests are most congenial. A young English honeymoon couple and a teacher couple from Austria. We took the cooking class together and the evening walk returning via a large canoe along with a group from GAP adventures who spent one night there. Matthew and the canoe rowers sang some local songs in harmony as we moved placidly along and it was lovely to hear them under a moon that was almost full.


It would be an ideal place for a sundowner while looking at the water lapping the pathway right outside but the general rule is bed after dinner. So far I haven’t heard any music being played except in the theatre. I miss that. On my last evening I hired a small boat to take me around the tiny canals for an hour and watch the sunset. It was fun ducking for all the low lying palms and seeing the eagles and many crane perched on rocks in the rivers. I even caught a glimpse of a Kingfisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment