Sunday, March 21, 2010

RAVANGLA



RAVANGLA
My next short stop is a larger village with several streets. I booked in to a Tibetan place where again no one spoke English but they all smiled and were very nice. The photo is of the nice owner.
Guessing what an item on the menu might be results in unusual combinations of food. Many things on the menu are not available at all and other meals are not listed. Again no light. Even big hotels did not have generators. It gets spooky wandering around in the dark. At night I ordered in a restaurant and after waiting two hours inquired about the dinner but the order had never gone to the kitchen. Another told me that they were full even though there was not one single person there. It’s my problem not having the language at all. There were few strangers around. Only met two English women who have been walking around these villages, they are not trekking as they are about my age. The picture is a poor attempt to show the winding roads around here.
While I was out trying to get dinner I realized that I had left my bag in the restaurant of my hotel on the chair. When I didn’t get served I left for somewhere else and didn’t notice that I did not have my handbag which contained money, my camera, glasses etc. I didn’t know if it had vanished in the new place or if I had left it in the first restaurant, went back immediately but it was closed already at 8.30 pm. I had to spend an anxious night getting up at 6 am and going in to the dining room as soon as it opened and there was the bag still on the same chair. No one had even noticed it probably as it was all intact. People here are most honest but anyone could have gone in for breakfast and walked out with it. Lucky again and very relieved.
I stayed in Hotel 10- Zing which is rather eccentric. I liked the Hotel Melody better and the owner speaks English but I sure needed a shower and he had only a bucket one. It has great views and cozier rooms than any of the others I checked. (hotel_melody@yahoo.co.in)

No comments:

Post a Comment